So what have we learned since last week?
- The two-judge-at-a-time experiment is over. Despite the fact that we have the same 7 singers, the same 4 judges, and the same one hour this week, all 4 judges are going to be allowed to critique each performance. So maybe we’ll have one less silly B-roll package this week?
- Ryan Seacrest was seen in public with his girlfriend. In related news, Ryan Seacrest has a girlfriend. Who knew? “Seacrest… out” was just a signoff after all.
- As Vote For The Worst reported, the Widower Danny Gokey has been seen
chasing checking outin the company of a rather attractive female Christian singer. Let’s not screw up the sympathy vote, Danny.
- Also from VFTW, we now know why Adam Lambert will lose. One of his close friends is the useless Hillsdroid, Audrina Patridge. That’s the one with the IQ lower than my shoe size. The backlash may be fierce once this gets traction.
- And it’s a double-elimination week. To prove that the producers want Allison out desperately, it’s the week that strangles rockers’ chances every year… THIS… is Disco Night… and THIS… is American Idol! *music cue*
Wow… no montages, just a quick intro and we’re into music by 4 past the hour. They’re serious about speeding this show up…
Lil Rounds – “I’m Every Woman” (Chaka Khan, Whitney Houston) – She did a good job, but frankly, I don’t think it’ll be enough to save her unless someone fails badly later. She needed to be memorable. Didn’t get there.
It’s the Product Placement Red Zone…
Kris Allen – “She Works Hard For The Money” (Donna Summer) – Oh. My. Goodness. Someone finally got the idea. Surprise us with a unique take… be a performer, for cryin’ out loud… instead of doing high-rent karaoke. Damn good stuff. This is something I want to see more of.
Instant Barometer: Kris / Lil
Danny Gokey – “September” (Earth, Wind & Fire) – This is going to be an interesting week if this keeps up… I think this is the first performance of Danny’s that I’ve really liked in weeks. A bit innovative… good work. He’s probably safe.
Instant Barometer: Kris / Danny / Lil
Allison Iraheta – “Hot Stuff” (Donna Summer) – She’s only 16… remind yourself she’s only 16… Very good performance, again innovating a bit, although she may get overshadowed a bit by the previous two breakouts. In a fair world, she’ll get through to next week. It’s going to be tight, though… I hope the judges’ pimping saves her…
Instant Barometer: Kris / Danny / Allison / Lil
It’s our second visit to the Product Placement Red Zone, for the guy who was born for this week…
Adam Lambert – “If I Can’t Have You” (Yvonne Elliman) – It’s Cognitive Dissonance Night… everyone’s doing something different (except Lil)… A little bit screechy at points, but a really interesting deconstruction of the Elliman disco classic. Well done.
Instant Barometer: Kris / Danny / Adam / Allison / Lil
Matt Giraud – “Staying Alive” (Bee Gees) – With the save last week, he needed to do something big to avoid trouble this week. This was good, but it wasn’t *it*. He’s in trouble again.
Instant Barometer: Kris / Danny / Adam / Allison / Matt / Lil
Anoop Desai – “Dim All The Lights” (Donna Summer) – Nice of Anoop to save the other contestants with an uninspired, bland, flat rendition. The lights dim on Anoop tonight.
Instant Barometer: Kris / Danny / Adam / Allison / Matt / Anoop / Lil
DEFINITELY FINISHED: Lil
TWO SINGERS, ONE SPOT: Matt, Anoop
YES, AMERICA WILL SCREW UP: Anoop may miss the bottom three, if so, Allison will get there.
And they get the show in on time this week. The singers weren’t rushed. We didn’t have our time wasted. And we got some incredible original and enjoyable performances. One of the best shows of the season.
Fringe is next. Results tomorrow at 9e/8c with David Archuleta.
Closing thought: this is NFL Draft week. Idol this season may shape up like many NFL drafts… the #1 pick in the NFL draft doesn’t always turn out to have the best career… and I think we’re heading that way here. Allison won’t win, but she’ll have the best career of the group. Remind me about this one in a few years, OK? 🙂