8 singers. 3 spots. No voting. The final twelve (or so) are set tonight… THIS… is American Idol!
And we go right into the singing:
Jesse Langseth — “Tell Me Something Good” (Rufus & Chaka Khan) – I would, but this really wasn’t. A bit screechy and over-the-top. Although song choice and vocals really don’t matter tonight, right?
Matt Giraud – “Who’s Lovin’ You” (Smokey Robinson / Jackson 5) – Interesting song choice. Also overcooked a bit. OK.
Megan Joy Corkrey — “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree” (KT Tunstall) – I liked it (except maybe the very last note). She’s going to the finals, and she’s going to go far.
Von Smith — “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word” (Elton John) – To use an Idol word, “self-indulgent”. I think he just kicked away his second chance.
Jasmine Murray — “Reflection” (Christina Aguilera) – Unfortunately, you did show who you are. I think Jesse can breathe a bit easier now… Jasmine is just not ready for this.
Ricky Braddy — “Superstition” (Stevie Wonder) – Good job, but he really needs Anoop to blow up to have a chance.
Tatiana Del Toro — “Saving All My Love For You” (Whitney Houston) – Big mistake – she did the same song as her semi-final. She did it pretty well, again… but I don’t think she’s going any further. Although what almost happened with Ryan… 🙂
Anoop Desai — “My Prerogative” (Bobby Brown) – If he had sung this in the semifinals, he wouldn’t be here tonight. He was going through anyway, but he definitely deserves it now.
No changes in my prediction – Anoop, Megan Joy, and Jesse are going through.
Here we go…
- Jasmine Murray: IN (ruh roh, Jesse)
- Ricky: OUT
- Megan Joy Corkrey, Tatiana: Megan IN, Tatiana OUT (with a Paula-esque nervous breakdown at the judges’ table)
- Jesse: OUT
- Von: OUT
- Matt Giraud, Anoop Desai: Here’s the twist – both IN, it’s a Top 13 next week!
And your finalists (with my comments, natch) are:
- Alexis Grace – cute, bubbly, not going far. If things go badly, she may be first out next week.
- Danny Gokey – will quickly generate a loyal voting fanbase, will go far, and is my MJ’s Big Blog pool pick to win this thing.
- Michael Sarver – nope. A week or two, but not around for long.
- Allison Iraheta – I hope she goes far, but she’s going to be this season’s Amanda Overmyer. The rocker chick who goes out too early.
- Kris Allen – mid-level talent.
- Adam Lambert – will the kissing-a-guy pics ruin it for him? Maybe.
- Lil Rounds – Top 3, maybe top 2. Not sure she can beat the Widower Gokey, but she has time to change that.
- Scott McIntyre – He’ll last a while. Maybe top 4 or 5.
- Jorge Nunez – Gone early. First couple of weeks, maybe a little longer if he can grow his fanbase.
- Jasmine Murray – I don’t think the voters will love her as much as the judges do.
- Megan Joy Corkrey – If she makes the right song choices, could make the top 4.
- Matt Giraud – another mid-level talent.
- Anoop Desai – he needs to catch on quickly with the fans, but if he does, he could go deep.
My predicted top 4 right now: Danny, Anoop, Lil, Megan Joy. The finals start Tuesday night. The vile and despicable Gordon Ramsey is next…