Playing catchup again…

So when we last left our hero, he was happy over the first weekend of Empire.

Last night — the only show of the second weekend — was even better.  The cast is starting to really find the comedy in their characters… and the tech team (of which I am a part) is getting the hang of it, too.  You REALLY need to see Empire.

Other news: I got control of the CSz Richmond website yesterday — the former webmaster finally mailed me the passwords — and I’ve done a ton of updating today.  At Oldies… no, that’s going to be a separate section below… and Anthem is Anthem. 🙂

Before Oldies… man, it’s a shame “The Last 5 Years” ended tonight at Firehouse Theatre Project.  I wish I could tell you to go see it, but you can’t, because it’s over.  Zak Resnick (who is somewhat connected to CSz through the Henrico CFA, and is why I went to see the show tonight) and Mary Kate Brouillet (who I don’t know but I see big things for) did a wonderful job with a tough assignment.  It’s a two person show told basically as two extended one-person shows intertwined… they each spend as much time acting to a blank space where a person SHOULD be as with each other… and they were terrific.  OK, I’m going to say something here that — if anyone’s reading — is going to get me in trouble but what the hell, it’s my blog.  Zak’s set to go off to Carnegie Mellon School of the Arts in the fall, and for the life of me I don’t know why.  He should be setting off to start his career, not spending 4 years giving his talent away for free in Pittsburgh (a city I have been to once and never again)… one goes to college when one needs to learn more about one’s choices.  Zak knows what he wants and isn’t going to learn anything in Pittsburgh that he won’t learn on the stage.  OK, I’m no talent scout, but if you’ve seen him perform, you know he doesn’t need school, he needs an audience.  OK, that’s enough of that before I dig myself a huge hole…

Back to Oldies.  And this gets convoluted, so buckle up.  Oldies 107.3 is actually a simulcast — 107.3 in Richmond and 100.3 in Petersburg.  Because of that, 100.3 doesn’t have a full-time studio.  So if we decide to run separate programming on 100.3 (say, today’s VCU baseball game), we have to switch the studio of 93.1 The Wolf over to 100.3 FM (meaning that the Wolf can’t be live while 100.3 is running).  The Wolf is normally live on Saturdays from 10 AM – 3 PM.  Yesterday, we realize that the game that we thought was a 4 PM start today, and that we’re obligated to air at 3:45, was changed to a 2 PM start with a 1:45 airtime.  OK, that’s bad enough.  I told my program director at lunchtime yesterday that we had a train wreck on our hands.  He told me he’d take care of it.  He didn’t quite take care of it… I walked into the Wolf studio at 1 PM and asked the DJ on duty (whose name will be left out of this for reasons that will shortly become obvious) if he’d heard from his program director.  He hadn’t… and then when I said I was going to clear this up, he put on this incredibly arrogant voice and said “You call whoever you want, I have a radio show to do!”.  This diva attitude from someone who’s been fired from every radio group in Richmond — but it gets better.  By 1:15, he’s come down the hall to the production studio where I’m burning through cellphone minutes to sort this out… I ask him if he’s heard from his PD, he says no, he walks away… my cellphone rings (vibrates, actually, it was in silent mode)… I look down, see the number, and smile… and this airhead charges into the studio at me and gives me the time-honored “You think something’s funny?  What do you think is so funny?” challenge, as though I was laughing at him — which is funny, because I don’t give enough of a damn about him to laugh.  It’s even funnier to think that I’m 6’2 and over 300 pounds and he’s 5’nothing and maybe 150. 🙂  I ignored him, took my calls (at one point, I had a phone in each ear juggling my PD and the VCU folks), and finally found out that we’d be OK, that the Wolf’s PD was going to get me into the studio.  Once the game started, I had some time to think and I realized that I was actually quite pissed about the Wolf DJ’s behavior.  I spoke to my PD, and I’m going to write this up and leave it for him (with all names included!) to take up with the Wolf’s PD.  Then the game takes 3 1/2 hours to finish… aargh.

So anyway… back to Oldies tomorrow for the noon – 6 PM shift… then over to the Funny Bone for the Improcalypse… and then it’ll be Monday again.  Thank goodness next weekend is a 3-day one… I need a breather again. 🙂


Author: Rob Hoffmann

Occasional blogger, slightly less occasional improv player/ref/tech, full-time computer techie, radio producer (basketball, mostly), generally nice person (if you ask me).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s